Tuesday 11 March 2014

my mihimihi

Growing up my family would go to this one camping spot every year, it was a tiny place that you would drive past if you were paying close enough attention. It became a very special and significant place in my life. There was a rocky beach and you could see across to other bays. One year for Christmas my nana bought me a disposable camera and I used it there. That was one of the first times I used a camera; I really wanted to take great pictures. I also used that camera to take my first selfie.
My family is very musical so naturally that has been an important part of my life. I play the piano but have dabbled around with playing saxophone, singing, and more recently, ukelele.
Books have always been important to me. Growing up I was obsessed with A Series of Unfortunate Events. I like to read “classics” such as The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, 1984, On the Road, etc. Sadly, I never read the Harry Potter series as a child (though I loved the films) and only began reading them this summer past. I love collecting books with beautiful photographs. Fashion photography is my favourite, though I also love portraiture.
For my birthday in 2011 I was given my first proper camera. Although it was the fanciest camera that anyone in my family had ever owned, in photography terms it was still very basic. I began lessons with a professional photographer and within weeks she told my mother I had outgrown my camera. It was around then that I realised I wanted to be a photographer. I researched where I could study photography in New Zealand and stumbled across information for a course at Massey University; three years later here I am. I still can’t believe it.

Throughout my life, my family has hosted numerous exchange students most of whom came from Germany. I was about 8 years old when I learnt something in German for the first time. It was the alphabet; I practised profusely and then went to show my parents. I then became obsessed with anything German. I would listen to a German CD that an exchange student had left behind and try my best to copy the words (which I couldn’t at the time understand). When I reached high school I was finally able to learn the language as a subject. Having already learnt bits and pieces I did very well and couldn’t wait to be fluent. Finally I reached year 12, at the end of which I would finally realise my dream and go to Germany. It was a truly life changing trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment